Jason Spears, Cabell County Prosecuting Attorney
750 5th Avenue, Suite 350, Huntington, WV 25701
Assistant Prosecuting Attorneys
Kellie M. Neal
Kent L. Bryson
William A. "Bill" Dawson, Jr.
Steven M. Wright
Jonathan C. Sweeney
Brandon E. Morgan
Kimberly RohrigDonna Donathan
Robert M. Copley
Prosecuting Attorney Duties
- The prosecuting attorney is the chief legal officer of the county. They have areas of responsibility in both criminal and civil cases. In criminal cases, the prosecuting attorney assists in the investigation of all crimes and other law violations in the county. In civil cases, the prosecuting attorney acts as legal advisor to the County Commission and other elected officials. They may also be called upon to assist the state Attorney General in state legal actions within the county. The prosecuting attorney's office must be kept open during elections and be available to advise election officials or answer questions from the public
Other duties and responsibilities include:
- The prosecution of all crimes; both misdemeanors and felonies, within the county.
- Requests that warrants are issued for persons charged with felonies.
- Try cases before magistrate and circuit judges.
- Present information to the Grand Jury for indictment of persons in connection with criminal activity.
- Represent the Department of Health and Human Resources in child abuse and neglect cases.
- Represent the State in juvenile delinquency cases.
- Appoint and supervise assistant prosecuting attorneys.
- Represent all elected county officials and county agencies.
- Prepare contracts and other documents for the county.
- File civil suits for county agencies and defend county agencies in civil actions.
- West Virginia Code (Chapter 61: Crimes and Their Punishment)
- West Virginia Legislature's Crime Victims Compensation Fund
- West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation
- The United States Department of Justice
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Office of Justice Programs
- National Institute of Justice
- West Virginia Prosecuting Attorneys Institute